Saturday, June 7, 2008

Prevention better than cure

After I read Little Inbox’s comment on my recent post, I felt much relief to certain extend. Though, it was very hurt by the reminder. However, I totally agree with what she said, prevention better than cure.

This is a true statement… if you do not prevent whatever that will harm us, by then it will be too late to cure.

Today’s paper has announced, CAP is encouraged people to make their own rice dumpling (bak chang 粽子), cuz, the samples that they had and examined was containing lots of boric acid. Some kind of ingredients that make these glutinous rice become springier. If an expecting mother ate these dumplings could actually indirectly harm the fetus.

I know many expecting mothers told me before, never take mango, octopus, squid or cucumber. I don’t know why, and I just follow their advice and listened. I know what they have told me is something that they had went thru or they have had seen it before, otherwise, they will not advise me.

I am like other mothers too, what I know I would like to share and advise others that expecting too. But I know many times, not many people will appreciate to what you told them.

I know many new women are educated and none superstitious. But, if they could just listen a little bit more, perhaps, they don’t have to go thru what Little Inbox & I had went thru. Nobody would like to see other people went thru such painful experience.

Apart from an experience woman’s point of view… I’ve even been thru the proper confinement treatment as well.

I was reluctant to listen to mom for certain restricted habits during the confinement period. Things like no bath, no hair wash, no aircond, blah blah blah… Till lately I got to know a friend was admitted to hospital due to ‘masuk angin’. What elderly said are true, you may not see the effect right now, but later, you will sure see some differences. Some could even paralyze and not able to work. Though all of these has no scientific proofs, however, even my gynecologist also advised me to follow certain mid-wife’s beliefs. (by the way, my gynecologist has done his practices for almost 30 years in the States, the more should be believing in such mid-wife’s beliefs)

If a mother decided to breast feed her child, a mother should limit her ginger intake. Though ginger could help to expel the wind in our body after labour, but that also could transmit into baby’s body. This means the baby will have the possibility of diagnose with jaundice. And, I know many mothers will take the child for ‘sun shine’ therapy.

I know, an infant is not supposed to expose to any sun light especially after birth for few days. Cuz, their eyes are not able to see such strong light. Question here is, if a mother would listen to certain advices, that’s call prevention. If the baby diagnose with jaundice, and bilirubin level is high, the infant will have to be treated phototherapy. That’s called cure.

Isn’t it prevention better than cure?

Perhaps, I am that type of ‘perfectionist’ and also a melancholic. I normally do not want to go thru a painful experience. A painful experience is an experience to guide thru another round of process, which you don’t need to follow the bad footstep. And on the other words, is call time wasting.

Well, I may be wrong… but I would be like Little Inbox… I’ll stick to this principle and do not want to go thru another pain experience.

4 comments:

Little Inbox said...

Sometimes, I guess I'm over anticipating for my second pregnancy. I feel a lot of pressure. Right now, my menstrual is suppose to due in the past 17 days, but it's yet to come. Sigh...

New Kid on the Blog said...

Hi Little Inbox, pls dont give yourself so much pressure.. take it easy, ok??
If you feel that you've sore breast and low abdomen pain, that could be a good news sign. Do take care.

Little Inbox said...

New kid, for my previous pregnancy, I didn't have sore breast until after 1st trimester. Home pregnancy test also show negative for initial stage. No morning sickness also.

Now I have low abdomen pain and back pain since 2 weeks ago, feel like period wanna come but still not coming. My mood swing like roller coaster. Few home pregnancy tests also turn negative. Started dreaming every night...Hai, just wait and see. I just wish I'm pregnant or my menstrual will due soon. Otherwise, I'll be more worried.

New Kid on the Blog said...

Hey, little inbox... take it easy... I know it's always easy say than done. I truly understand how you feel. When my menstrual delayed for a week, I was also hoping it's something good too. But I do not have sore breast nor abdomen pain. So, in a way I know it ain't anything good.